Tuesday, August 5, 2008

First week of school...

Cell phone number: (But I'm out of minutes, so don't call right now. )

0982-257-291

Well, as of Monday morning, I am officially a payed professional educator! hahahaha. Wow. Who saw that coming? Methinks... things have begun well. I was, of course, terrified beyond description the first day, though. The classes are nicely sized, but the sizes range from 4 (Senior Physics) to 18 (Freshman Biology & Bible). I've had my share of expected new-teacher foibles, including one class in which I completely forgot to take roll (day 1) until halfway through class. It was awkward. I got partway through and realized I didn't know the name of a single student I was talking to. I was like... uh... wow... sorry. Today was better with them though, and the rest of the classes have been fine. I am particularly excited about the group of seniors, because the dialogue in the class is very different... much more relaxed. I think because there are only a few of them, it is less threatening to me, showing me a different teaching demeanor that I much prefer, and hope to apply as much as possible to the larger classes. I am enjoying very much the freedom to teach from my whole perspective, rather than having to censor myself. The wonder I feel towards the natural world is a God-centered endeavor for me... not because I study science to prove anything to myself or to anyone else, but rather because studying science to me is like staring into a piece of his intimate work... and coming to know the natural world is a means of coming to know a piece of the mind of God. I can express that awe freely here... and it makes my teaching feel much more complete and genuine. But please continue to pray for me, there is much work left to do...

3 comments:

God'sWarrior said...

That is awesome Hans. We are thinking and praying for ya, and I am glad that you are settling down into your new routine. Keep up the great work and remember that you will make mistakes, the important thing is that you laugh and move on. :) Love ya bro.

God'sWarrior said...

By the way, the previous post is by me, Brian B. Just so you know, I wasn't sure if you knew my screen name. :)

Unknown said...

Hans,

I was so glad to find this via your Mom. Your posts are fascinating. May God bless you in
your new life. Please Email me at
Gmail to tell me how to Skype you.
Luv ya, man. Jackolac